Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Last Wednesday: All on the anniversary of Humane Vitae

So I've got a lot to update you on, since I haven't written in a while. Last Tuesday I revealed that I'd be meeting Justice Scalia, and the following day--I did! Here's a summary of last Wednesday:

Technically I didn't meet Justice Scalia, because there were about 50 students in our group, and we just listened to him speak and then answer questions for about 30 minutes total...but I was sitting front row directly in front of him! It was a very neat experience, even just being inside the Supreme Court Building. We even got to sit in the Court itself after hearing Justice Scalia speak. The Justice certainly commanded the room ("why don't you stand up when you ask that question? it shows some respect"), but he was also incredibly amiable and humorous ("wow, we've got a crowd...I should've been charging!") He began with 2 remarks, first about the beauty of the American system of government, and then about the subject of "judging judges" on their decisions.

For all my lawyer-hopeful friends out there, he gave in response to a question some advice: 1. Make sure you actually love the law. That's essential, because you'll be immersed in it. 2. Live a balanced life, don't just work. Care about the people in your life, make time for hobbies and don't develop tunnel-vision. and 3. Work hard, of course.

Can you spot me??
Since it was too late to go back to work, the Missionaries decided to go to the Holocaust Museum, something we'd been wanting to do all summer. I had never been before, and was eager to experience it, in a strange combination of excitement and dread. The most well-known part of the tour is that each visitor gets an identity card, with the name of an actual person who experienced the Holocaust. As you make your way through the exhibit, you turn the page of the booklet, and at the end you find out if you survived. I did not. 

The most powerful moment for me was walking through the railcar, one of thousands that were used to mass-transport the people who were to be exterminated at the concentration camps. About 100 people were crowded into each car, sometimes not seeing daylight, food, water, or a bathroom, for days. I forced myself to linger in the car for a few minutes with my eyes closed, imagining the horror. 

Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor and author of 57 books, including Night, is one of the most famous and powerful voices from the Holocaust. Here are 2 quotes from him that should strike a deep chord within us all: 
  • “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” 
  • “We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” 
After the Holocaust Museum, we checked our phones and Ruben, another intern, had messaged us about an opportunity to see a preview showing of the film Obama's America: 2016 by Dinesh D'Souza. The showing was at a theater in Georgetown, and we decided to go. The documentary presented some interesting facts, and was aesthetically impressive. However, I struggled to leave with any strong convictions about Obama's "real plan" for America. I don't doubt some of the facts, but the film was definitely conspiracy-like, and I wouldn't adopt all its theories without lots more questioning, as is my inquisitive nature. 

Then we walked around Georgetown a bit and found Johnny Rockets for dinner. A full day!

P.S. It was the anniversary of Paul VI's encyclical Humane Vitae (Human Life) on Wednesday, which made the experience of the Holocaust Museum even more compelling, and even Justice Scalia's remarks about justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment