Friday, August 3, 2012

Can't believe it...tomorrow it's time to go home!!

Wow, guys. Tomorrow in the a.m., I leave for St. Louis!! I can't believe it! These 9 weeks FLEW by. I'm sure there will be more to come in the way of reflection on what I've learned, but for now I'll share my last blog post from this week, "Fear is Easy, Love is Hard": http://abolishabortion.com/blog/fear-easy-love-hard

Last night the Missionaries went out for one last time together. We ate at a local place called P.J. Skidoos, walked around the Fairfax Mall, and then went to Kline's for ice cream, one of those walk-up, summertime-tradition type places. We've had Kline's together twice before, so we wanted to continue that tradition and end it right. After what happened next, we were glad we did!

The man in front of us in line had a polo with Catholic Charities on it, so I struck up conversation and we told him we were interns with Students for Life. He got real excited and asked us to come sit with him and his son after we got our ice cream. As we were walking over to sit down with our ice cream, Anne, the 6th missionary who hadn't been with us that night because her parents were in town, heard people talking about Lila Rose (a pro-life "celebrity" of sorts), thought "who in the world could be talking about her at this ice cream place!?", turned around, and saw us! Crazy coincidence. So then, we had one great big pro-life conversation with the interns (plus Anne, who's not often with us), Anne's parents, and this random Catholic Charities staffer and his son! It was great!! haha. Truly, it was pretty cool.

Tonight we have a farewell BBQ at Kristan's house, and then Leslie, Chris, and I are beginning our 2-car caravan back to St. Louis. If the timing is right, I'm actually planning to get dropped off in Indianapolis and meet up with my friend Lindsey who is house-sitting there--and then we'll finish the 4 hours to St. Louis together on Sunday.

I cannot WAIT to be home! Mary and Julie, my sisters who also were gone all summer with separate adventures, have been home since last weekend now and I'm getting a little jealous. I wouldn't have wanted this ending to come any sooner, though. I've learned so much, even in this last week. This has been an amazing opportunity, and I have so many memories I will treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment